We’re currently learning about Pompeii in history but now we’re going to look a little closer at volcanoes all around the world.
Use the links provided to answer the following questions.
- Approximately how many potentially active volcanoes are there in the world today?
- Hot melted rock is called magma. What do we call it when it is released from a volcano?
- Where do volcanoes usually form?
- What is the name give to the huge circle of volcanoes in the Pacific Ocean?
- Shield volcanoes are dome-shaped mountains built by lava flows. What 3-D shape are stratovolcanoes?
- What is the name given to the branch of geology that is focused on volcanoes?
- Name 4 positive uses of volcanoes.
- Name the two other towns that were destroyed along with Pompeii by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in 79AD.
- What is the current height of Mt Vesuvius?
- What sort of temperatures are regularly recorded by scientists around the mouth of Mt Vesuvius?
Early Finishers – The Giant’s Causeway
- Where is the Giant’s Causeway?
- When was the Giant’s Causeway Formed?
- What type of rock makes up the Giant’s Causeway?
- Why did Ireland have a sub-tropical climate around the time that the Giant’s Causeway was formed?
- What 2-D shape occurs on the Causeway’s rocks?
- How did this 2-D shape come about?
- How, according to the legend of Finn MacCool, was the Giant’s Causeway formed? Why might people have believed this story in the past?